By Kendall Smith, Induron Sales Rep
That was the situation at the Smith residence recently. My trusty old backyard shed was in dire need of some TLC. If I’m perfectly honest, the rotting wooden shed needed to be torn down and taken out of its misery, but in a last-ditch effort to save myself the expense and time of building a new one, I slapped some Induraguard 9200 on it.
Even though Induraguard is meant for rusty galvanized steel structures like transmission towers, I was amazed at how great it worked on dried out, cracked wood with multiple layers of old paint still partially intact. In fact, after applying Induraguard, there was no more wood rot at all!
Induron isn’t necessarily branching out into the “old nasty shed coatings” business, but my shed experiment showed me that the properties that make Induraguard great for weathered galvanized structures make it ideal for old wood. For example:
- Induraguard provides maximum wetting and penetration of cracks, edges and dried-out wood (restores life to the wood), just like it does with rusty steel or weathered galvanized.
- It works extremely well with very little surface preparation – no extensive chalk or chloride removal required.
- It seals and holds old coatings in place like glue, just like it does on metals.
- It has perfect properties as an overcoating material and puts very low stress on old coatings.
- The linseed oil within Induraguard sinks down into areas where it’s needed, while the best possible barrier pigments provide long-life coating at substrate level. It resists extreme weathering conditions, like UV rays, wind, rain, etc.
- It provides a hydrophobic surface to resist water penetration and prevent further deterioration of the substrate – a perfect use of this coating that you might never think about!
- Its low-VOC isn’t harmful to the environment.
So whether you’ve got a system of rusted galvanized power poles or just the wooden shed where you keep your lawnmower, Induraguard 9200 is your best bet for protection!
Founded in 1947, Induron manufactures high performance coatings that serve a range of industrial applications, including the wastewater, transmission and distribution and groundwater storage industries. Learn more about us at www.Induron.com.