By: Tom Wunderlin, Induron Sales Representative
The temperature of everything from the paint material itself to the air to especially the substrate being painted is a very important factor to take into consideration in the application of protective coatings.
How does temperature impact the application of protective coatings?
Most protective coatings are formulated for application at temperatures above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Why? Because temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit may suspend the rate of the chemical reaction between the 2 components, the base or resin and the hardener. We usually refer to these as part A and B.
Additionally, the evaporation of the solvents in the coating are also adversely affected by lower temps. Temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit can increase the likelihood of blushing, discoloration, and/or the loss of gloss. Consequently, it’s essential to pay close attention to material, ambient, and surface temperatures.
Protective coatings should never be applied below the recommended temperature or when temperatures are expected to drop below the minimum temperature during the first few hours of cure. Make sure to store the paint, activators and accelerators at the recommended storage temperature, usually between 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit. This practice will help when mixing and applying the product.
How to apply protective coatings in cold weather
Fortunately, accelerators or additives can be used to allow for low temperature application when recommended by the coatings manufacturer and approved by the owner. Pay close attention to guidelines when using accelerators and do not push the limits. Always refer to our Product Data Sheets.
Typical Mixing Instructions:
- Thoroughly mix each component of multi-component materials individually.
- Mix the two components of material together thoroughly for a unit or kit of coatings.
- Add recommended container or measured amount of Induron Accelerator and mix thoroughly. Add only the volume of Accelerator recommended for the unit size of product used.
- If thinning is required, add the recommended solvent under agitation and after the Accelerator is added to the mixed unit of Induron product.
- Apply Induron product according to application instructions.
- Do not use or apply below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Always consult with Induron Protective Coatings Technical Service Team if you have questions or concerns.
Getting it right is who we are, not just what we do
At Induron, customer service and quality assurance are our specialties. We invest ourselves in your success, your satisfaction, and your reputation. If you need information or additional guidelines for applying Induron coatings in colder temperatures, contact your sales representative today.